Not all car owners use their vehicles every day. Various reasons such as traffic jams, frequent trips out of town, or getting an official car can be the cause. Whatever it is, please note that cars that are rarely used actually need special care so they don’t get abandoned and can’t be driven when needed. Here are some tips for caring for and maintaining the performance of cars that are rarely used:
- Before leaving or letting the car park for a sufficiently long period of time, clean it thoroughly. Starting with cleaning the outside (exterior) which aims to protect the paint from various dirt and prevent rust. Then what is not less important is cleaning the inside (interior), it can be done using a vacuum cleaner and a clean cloth.
- To neutralize the musty smell that can arise as a result of having the car closed for a long time, leave the car deodorizer in it.
- Cover the car with a special cover to prevent dust and other debris from accumulating.
- Although not every day, the process of heating the machine should be done regularly. The goal is to recharge the stun to the battery and dry the condensed water.
If you plan to stay away from using the car for more than two weeks:
- Park the car in a closed room such as a garage, to protect car paint from rain and scorching heat and prevent crime.
- Disconnect the battery cable to prevent damage to the battery. When unplugging, start with the negative cable and then remove the positive cable to avoid the risk of striking the electric current from the battery. When reinstalling, put the positive wire first.
- Take advantage of the jack stand to prop the car up so that the car tires are lifted up and do not come into contact with the floor. The goal is that the tire posture does not change due to being allowed to hold the load for too long at the same point. In addition, it also maintains the suspension condition so that it continues to function properly and remains comfortable when the car is used again.
- Make sure the handbrake is in a free condition, because if the hand brake is allowed to continue working for a long time it will cause stickiness between the oil and the brake disc, especially for vehicles that are still using drum brakes.
- Mount the wiper with foam or wood, do not let the wiper touch the windshield, because if it is allowed to stick for a long time, the wiper rubber will slowly harden and become less flexible (dead rubber) so it will feel rough or even cause scratches when it is used. to wash your windshield.
This way, you don’t have to worry too much when you don’t use the car for a long time. But the last thing that still needs to be done every now and then is an inspection of rats. You don’t want these rodents nesting in your car and chewing on cables or hoses in the engine room.